Healthy, gluten-free, sugar-free brownies that are super moist and taste amazing!
Two weeks into my sugar-fast month and things are going well! Since I don’t typically eat a ton of sugary foods, it hasn’t been too torturous. However, I also don’t normally restrict myself from any-thing, so I have caught myself more than once reaching for something sweet, only to stop short (and cry a small, silent tear.)
So though I haven’t suffered too much, I have craved something sweet after a meal. I decided it was time to create a dessert that wasn’t just substituting real sugar with fake, but actually something that I could say is honest-to-goodness healthy. Yes, a healthy dessert…That tasted great. Why not?
My boys immediately doubted me.
Which cued: game on, boys. Watch me.
Since my dad is still in town, and he is has Celiac Disease, I wanted to go gluten-free as well. Then I upped my game again, and chose not to use a gluten-free flour mix. Instead: I wanted to go completely flour-less. Because when I go in, I’m ALL IN
GRAIN FREE, SUGAR FREE, HEALTHY BROWNIES. BOOM!
My mom, who is a natural in the kitchen, (and becoming quite an expert in the gluten-free department) worked with me on these. She suggested less in more, and eggs +coconut oil = moist and fudgey. Oh yeah. Also, dates are the perfect sweetener, (and in my opinion one of the yummiest and most overlooked foods around.) Just 8 simple ingredients in a food processor (or hearty blender) and you’ve got yourself dessert. Healthy, tasty dessert.
These are truly delicious. If anything, I would say the flavor is a little richer, in a fancy-dessert-sort-of-way. (it’s that 100% cacao that you just have to love.) But you would never in a million years guess that these brownies have NO added sugar, no flour, no butter, and no fake anything. They definitely exceeded my expectations.
When the sugar fast is over, I’ll continue to make these. I hope you will too!
Enjoy the printable recipe below. And don’t forget to Pin and Share with your friends too. (thanks!)
- 2 unsweetened chocolate baking bars (each 8 ounces)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 packed cups of dates, pitted and chopped.
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup Chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Use coconut oil or light cooking spray to coat a 9X13 baking pan.
- In a food processor or strong blender, pulse chocolate bar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix until chopped well but not a fine powder.
- Add dates and pulse well.
- Add eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla until mixture is combined evenly. Add nuts if desires. Stir to check consistency; some small lumps are normal.
- Transfer to baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. Edges will begin to darken and pull away from pan slightly.
- Let cool before serving.
Doubters gonna doubt.
I win, boys.
Comment!? What do you turn to for a healthy (or not ;)) sweet treat? If you’re on the sugar fast, comment and tell me how you’re doing!