One of the greatest challenges of parenting today is navigating technology with our kids. We, the parents, are “digital immigrants” — we did not grow up with technology, at least as it is today. Our kids, on the other hand, are “digital natives”! They have only known life with screens and apps and social media and all the rest. It can be absolutely overwhelming! To add to the stress, we all know that things are changing, constantly! How in the world can we keep up?
While I don’t have all of the answers for you, I do my best to keep up on what the experts are saying, and I try to cover the most relevant topics on my podcast and in my writing. My book, Boy Mom: What Your Son Needs Most from You has a meaty chapter on technology, so I hope you find that helpful! Below you will also find all of the podcast episodes and blog posts that I have written related to parenting in this age of technology!
ALSO!!! I have worked hard to create a MINI-COURSE to support parents who want to be intentional about their kids’ use of technology. I only launch the course a couple times a year, so keep your ears 👂 and eyes 👀 open for upcoming launches!
The next launch will be from Wednesday, September 15 to Friday September 17th (doors closing at noon CST!) Click on the link below to see the course page and check out all that is in it. (and see a summary list below as well!)
- Access to an interview with Sissy Goff, author of “Taming the Technology Monster” (Sissy is also a speaker and the Director of Child and Adolescent Counseling at Daystar Counseling Ministries)
- A technology contract to use with your child(ren)
- A lengthy technology resource list with books, filters and accountability software
- A PDF of Bible verses for wisdom in using social media (perfect to print and put by a family computer)
- A resource list of recommended (positive) Instagram accounts for teens
- A resource to help you determine if your child(ren) may have a video game addiction (with additional resources to help if so)
- Access to an interview with my son Josiah about social media from his young teens to adulthood (this is a good one to share with your kids)
- Additional downloads to help you raise tech-smart and social media-smart kids
TECH-RELATED PODCAST EPISODES:
Everything You Need to Know to Navigate Video Games (Episode 112 — with an incredible, free, download full of notes and links!)
What Most Parents Don’t Know about Internet Filters (Episode 111 -packed with such good information!)
Empowering Kids to Make Good Choices, Online (Episode 110 -with Kristen Jenson, the author of Good Pictures, Bad Pictures.)
Treading Boldly Through a Pornographic World. (Episode 113–a favorite!)
TECH-RELATED BLOG POSTS:
I hope you find some helpful and encouraging content in these links!
I’ll be adding to this page over time! Feel free to reach out with any suggested topics or specific questions that would be helpful to you as you navigate parenting in an age of technology! (email me at [email protected])