You know, it takes me the entire month of January to process the New Year. In fact, am I getting old (don’t answer that) or do you agree that we need to slow down all of the holiday madness, and make it last a bit longer?…Here’s my idea: Let’s move Thanksgiving to mid-October…Then start the Christmas hoopla as soon as Thanksgiving is over. We can take our time. Don’t rush Christmas. Then, when Christmas is over, let’s give it a good three or four weeks before the New Year. Take down the tree, make the lists, and be in the moment. The New Year deserves a bit of time and thought.
Of course that would require an entire rearranging of the calendar, but I do think I’m on to something…
Anyone with me?
Well, all of that to say, don’t be surprised if I’m just now beginning to think about New Year’s hopes and dreams and goals and all of that.
Because I am.
And though I don’t exactly have a set plan at the moment, I thought I would at least tell you what I’m thinking about when it comes to the blog-front. Then you can give me some feedback on those ideas, and we’ll take it from there.
Before I go on, I should mention that it is always good fun to read my end of the year report from the internet fairies, who tell me which blog posts were my biggest hits in 2014 (no surprise–The “Teenage boy” post, followed by the “Anger-Lecture Habit in Parenting,” post, and then “No Regrets.”) I also learned that my biggest week brought me 1.5 million visits, and I have had visitors from 210 countries this year! (wow!) I’m so grateful for ALL OF THE GOODNESS.
But see–I can’t dwell on all of that, because the calendar tells me that it’s a new year, and I need to get in the rat race and start cranking out another year. (see what I’m saying?)
Why can’t we all just lie down in the foamy water and enjoy life a bit more?
So with that in mind, here’s a little list of blogging ideas, hoping you’ll give me some feedback in comments below.
NEW YEAR BLOG HOPES:
1. Get back to some V-logs. Family Vlogs? Topical? A series? I’m thinking about it.
2. What about podcasts? Who’s into them? (Speak now or forever hold your peace!)
3. A fresh health/fitness series…OR maybe thinking more seriously about publishing that ebook. (or not.)
4. A little series targeting younger women…Sort of like a mentoring series!? I have a surprisingly high number of young women–teenagers to twenties who follow this blog, and I would love to target that age range…I want to talk about everything from meeting the right man, to making career choices, to surviving the early married years and first baby years…Wouldn’t that be fun!? (Let me know!)
5. Some posts for the guys! (With Dave’s help.) I also have a good number of male subscribers–(So glad you’re here guys. I’m seriously honored!) And I’d love to give you some more food for thought. On parenting? Marriage? Lifestyle/health? (and yes, I promised the whole “What a teenage boy needs most from his DAD” and Dave and I need to wrap that one up!)
6. More parenting posts: Very soon I’ll be addressing those
pesky wonderful toddlers. I pretty much always have parenting posts on my mind.
7. Recipes: Plenty more already lined up.
8. Home and country. Oh my goodness. Lots and lots of things to share.
First of all-We are finally…really and truly–building THE SKATE BOWL in front of our home this month. My feelings might be described as mixed, at best. Come back soon to follow the drama, complete with three construction workers who will be staying (in our home!) while they build the skate bowl, along with sneak peaks of Monica losing her mind, Dave working heavy machinery, and kids not doing school.
9. My blog journey. Thinking it might be fun to share a bit about the four years I have spent growing this little site…Lessons I’ve learned, obstacles I have encountered, making a little income from a blog, etc. I thought other bloggers, or those considering a writing career might be interested? LMK!
Final notes: Over the holidays I took a few minutes and added a little menu tab titled “Also find me…” which links you to other places where I do some writing or have been featured. I also updated both my North Shore Favorites tab, and my “contact/work with me” page. Click around!
OK. That’s it for now friends!
I do hope that you’re way ahead of me on this whole New Year’s thing.
Go strong, and I promise I’ll catch up with you eventually!
By the way: Most of the amazing beach photos in this post are compliments of Hannah, a fellow Oahu Mom who I’ve never met but just Facebook messaged me with these photos this weekend! Three pictures are of my own boys, and she just happened to take them last spring, and then later recognized that they were my kids! (Crazy, right?) And the awesome picture of the kids in the dreamy foam is of Hannah’s own kids. LOVE THEM ALL!