Welcome to our first couple-video! Dave and I were inspired by Valentine’s Day (ok, I was,) and we thought it would be fun to do a marriage-themed Vlog. Dave was a great sport to play along…
We keep things pretty light in this one, mostly because I really wanted this to be a chance for you to get to know Dave a little, and to see the two of us together. If you like it, let us know and maybe we’ll do more!
Have I mentioned that doing videos is a little nerve-wracking?
So I’ll go hide in a corner while you watch…
So…can I come out now? What’d you think?
**In case you need the cliff-notes version:
Dr. Dave and Monica’s TOP TEN RULES FOR A HAPPY MARRIAGE:
(Dave covered the odds, Monica had the evens…)
1. Go along to get along. Dave suggests it’s usually easiest to go along with your wife’s ideas/plans, but really the idea is just to get along. Most wives think things through, plan well, and guys can trust us with the details.
2. Communication. Connect every single day. Keep up on each other’s lives.
3. Listen! Women need to talk. A lot. Dave knows this well.
4. Love Languages. If you haven’t read Gary Chapman’s “the Five Love Languages” book, get it! (click here for Amazon link–> The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts) Learn what speaks LOVE to your spouse…Your relationship will be better when you are communicating your love to each other in a way that has meaning to your spouse.
5. Be thoughtful! Tune in to each other’s lives…Call from work to check in when you can. Let your spouse know that you’re thinking of him/her.
6. Plan Time Together! Get out and enjoy one another! Find a hobby or activity and do it together throughout your years. This builds memories and shared experiences.
7. Date Nights! Guys: Plan them and get bonus points. Be consistent and your marriage will grow!
8. Connect with other couples. Through small groups at a church or a group study. Find quality couples that you trust. Share your marriage with others and you’ll realize that the things you deal with are normal.
9. Girls need girlfriends (and guys need dude-friends.) There are simply things that we won’t understand about one another. Good friends will understand us and this will also take the load off of our spouses.
10. Have fun together! Lighten-up. Less stress, more fun. Laugh at yourself…your kids….your dogs. Enjoy each other for a happier marriage.
Obviously, we left out some of our deeper, core values, like praying together, and a lot of other things. (finances, working out conflict, etc. etc…) Like I said, this was more for fun, and we (or at least I) will get into more at another time. Feel free to ask questions, or share from your experiences in the comments, below! I would LOVE to hear some of your own “rules” for a happy marriage!
Thank you for stopping in. This was so much fun for me!! And I think Dave did great, don’t you?