A seasonal blog post packed with updates, photos, links (my favorite pants! – books and movies. Inspirational links. Funny stuff. Bible study resources, and more) and a special cozy-winter giveaway! Grab your coffee and let’s goooo!
Happy New Year!
We didn’t send Christmas cards this year, but my friend Emily captured some special family photos while the whole family was together. (See more below.)
So….Hi! and Happy New Year. I hope you are well. The holidays were a whirlwind around here (you too?) and I thought it would be special to huddle up here for something warm and yummy as we head into the New Year. Because it’s true:
Note: As this post goes live I am also releasing a podcast episode on many of the same topics. (except different.) Head over there to hear me chat about things coming up in the New Year and some of my personal thoughts for 2024.
What’s your beverage today? We are in the midst of a crazy tropical storm, so I’m cozied up with my coffee with fluffy frothy soy milk.
Now: first things first –
HOW ARE YOU? How were the holidays?
I’ve had a handful of honest conversations with girlfriends who had “good but also hard” holidays. One was grieving the loss of a parent. Another had kids throwing up on Christmas morning. In general I think we (Moms especially) put a lot of pressure on ourselves to make Christmas magical, when in reality: It usually ends up being a whole mix of things. (right?)
And here’s your friendly reminder (over my steaming cup) that God sees it all. Your efforts. Your heart. Your joy and your disappointment. Every detail.
Also: I’m proud of you (and ok, of me too. haha.) Holidays are a lot. And we made it through another one. 💥
And now! We get to look ahead at a clean slate for the New Year ahead. 🙂 Yay!
I’d love to hear how 2024 is looking for you. I’ll throw out a couple questions at the end and I trust you’ll leave a comment (which will also enter you to win one of TWO GIVEAWAYS!). As for me…
2024 is looking like my favorite year ever for all of my work-related projects!
- So many great guests are coming on the podcast: (Alisa Childers, John Mark Comer, Brant Hansen, JP Pokluda, Abbie Halberstat….and more.) We’ll be talking about parenting, faith, marriage, homeschooling, and more!
- A NEW BOOK STUDY GUIDE IS NOW AVAILABLE (AND FREE!) Ready to gather with friends and go through Raising Amazing this year? CLICK HERE to request a study guide — This will be great whether it’s your first time leading a group, or you’re a seasoned leader! Find out more on the book study guide page!
- My Character Training Course will open for new students in March! Make sure you’re on my EMAIL LIST so you won’t miss the announcement!
- My book,The Secret of Your Naturally Skinny Friends (the title makes sense when you read the book! ☺️) will be back in print soon! (it is currently available on Kindle, but the paperback version will be available again soon…and hopefully I’ll have it on audible as well soon!)
- And…HIGHLIGHT OF THE YEAR….My next book will release in May!
If you homeschool, or ever consider homeschooling, this is for you.
If you don’t homeschool (and never plan on it 😉 ) I still think you’d enjoy reading about our journey and learning more about the world of homeschooling. You can preorder this book already (go for it HERE!) — and when you do, you are guaranteed the lowest price between now and release!
ALSO: we’re planning to have a launch team open in April, so stay-tuned!
Next I’ll share some photos since my last Coffee Date (in October)
In December went to Focus on the Family in Colorado Springs to talk about Raising Amazing. (the episode will release in March!)
(BTW: I just saw Amazon has Raising Amazing ON SALE right now!!)
Holidays with the boys all home 🥰, (3rd one was their first morning in church together during worship.) (4th one is with my parents on Christmas Eve.)
Our North Shore beaches have a special wintery beauty that I just love…
Keeping it real on Christmas morning…❤️🎄
And a favorite tradition: A Brother band wrapping up Christmas night.
News Years: Fresh off the press, two more from our recent photo shoot in Waimea Valley.
Next: Over coffee we would speed swap so many of our favorite things…Here are some of mine, in LINKS:
For anyone living with grief: This short video clip is powerful.
And this short video is one of my FAVORITES (watch it esp. if you struggle with — or love– church.)
For laughs: From my IG post this week.
My new jeans (seen in our family photos.) (Thanks, Mom!)
My overall favorite pants of 2023. ( have them in two colors.) SO comfy and versatile and flattering and lightweight for Hawaii’s humidity. I wish they’d make them in more colors.
BOOKS! Oh my goodness, I have been speed-reading so many books for upcoming interviews, and these are just a few I recommend!
- The Deconstruction of Christianity (Alisa Childers will be on my podcast next week.). — this is important for Christian parents to read/understand/be proactive to avoid! — releasing Jan. 30
- Practicing the Way Outstanding. (John Mark Comer will be on the podcast this spring as well.) releasing on Jan 16.
- Life is Hard, God is Good, Let’s Dance. (Brant Hansen…so funny, honest, and brilliant.) Also Jan 16!
- Just Show Up: How Small Acts of Faithfulness Change Everything (A Guide for Exhausted Christians) (If you missed it, Drew Dyck was on the podcast last week!)
As promised…Sharing my typical morning devotional routine and the resources I use:
- I love to start with the First 15 App. It reads to me and I reflect, pray, and worship while I sip my first cup of coffee.
- I am continuing to read through the Bible chronologically with Tara Leigh Cobble’s The Bible Recap.
- I journal in Amy Hale’s Good Morning God prayer journal.
- I use this Illuminated Art Journaling ESV Bible.(Though I don’t do much art in it, I use the space for extra notes.)
*One thing I started doing a couple years ago that I love: I keep a list of people/themes I am praying for organized by days of the week, and each day I pray for a specific list of people, places, or themes. 🙂
Lastly: I am asked A LOT about good devotionals for teens, and I honestly haven’t found many that I love. However, my son Josiah is working on a 30-day teen devotional right now so if you’d like to check it out when he’s ready for a test-group, be sure you’re on my email list!
OK WOW, this is a lot. I hope you found something in there that was helpful!
YOUR TURN!! // GIVEAWAY!
Answer any (or all!) of the following questions to be entered to win:
1. What are you most looking forward to in 2024?
2. What is the greatest challenge your family is facing this year?
3. Share a book or movie you recommend (for moms, dads, or kids!)
4. Name a topic or a guest you’d love for me to have on the podcast.
I will pick two winners next Tuesday night (1/16/24) and announce it in my email the following day!
Thank you so much for taking the time to join me for coffee. We never get to cover everything but I love touching bases! Please know that I read every comment and I truly care about you!
Sending hugs and ALOHA!
PS Fun update/news: I’m coming home late (Wednesday night) and I’m too tired to share it all before posting, but Luke and Levi had an exciting day filming with The Golf Channel/NBC for a special feature which will air during the Masters Drive, Chip, and Putt Finals this April (which Levi will be in.) They wanted to feature the boys as surfers and golfers and how as brothers they support each other in their sports. I shared how surprising and special this day turned out in my IG post and stories from today here. God is so good!