Do you think about food all of the time? Do you dwell on what you just ate, or what you might eat next? Do you find yourself staring into the fridge when you’re not even hungry?
I watched as my teenage son walked into the kitchen yesterday and did the fridge-stare. “I hate it when I do this.” he said, closing the fridge and walking away. I laughed, but it made me think of how many people stare into the a refrigerator not because they’re a hungry teenager, but because thinking about food is a very serious habit.
I receive a lot of messages from people who have read my book, The Secret of Your Naturally Skinny Friends. I nearly cry with joy hearing people tell me “You are the first person to explain exactly how I feel!” “I felt like you were in my head!” “Thank you for understanding me so well.” And of course I do back flips (just the kind in my head) when I hear from people who are losing weight, and finding freedom after applying the principles in my book to their life!
One sweet book reader recently emailed me, telling me she had read the book three times through and was so happy with her progress. She said she knew her problem was truly rooted in her thought-life. Then she added “In fact I just googled ‘what to think about instead of food.'” I laughed, but appreciated her honesty. And I totally get it– I remember well the years of my life that I thought about food ALL of the time.
So I thought I would share a fun list which will hopefully be useful too.
Here are 20 things to think about instead of food.
- Your next vacation. (even if it’s still in the “just dreaming” stage.) When/where/what/who? Plan it! Dream about it. Go online and find information about it. Start a Pinterest board about it.
- Birthdays. It must be someone’s birthday. This week. Next week? Start a birthday calendar if you haven’t, and write a list of upcoming birthdays/holidays so you don’t forget anything important.
- Junk drawers. Then clean one out if you have time.
- Your hair. Should you cut it? Bangs? Color? Flip through a magazine or Pinterest to find cute new looks.
- Craigslist/Ebay. There must be something you’re in the market for. A new chair? workout gear? An antique? Or maybe you should sell a few things that have been lying around.
- Childhood memories. Remember your first grade teacher? Your first dance? Call an old friend to reminisce and laugh, or jot a note to someone who had made a difference in your life.
- Hungry kids in Africa. But seriously. If you have a sponsored child somewhere in the world, sit down and jot a note to mail. IF you don’t have one, research an organization that you might sponsor one through. Pray for the hungry and needy. This can be a double blessing as it can give you a serious dose of #perspective.
- Your purse. I bet it could use a big clean-out. (it can’t just be me…) You can even do this if you’re sitting in your car. Just dump everything out and re-organize. That’ll kill a few minutes and distract your mind for sure. (Plus you might find some gum in there.)
- A party. You should definitely plan to host a party. (right!?) What will be the theme? Who will you invite? What should you wear? What will you cook, or should it be a potluck? (yes, definitely.) Start planning.
- A book! If you’re reading a novel, pull it out and read even just a couple of pages. IF you’re not reading one then by all means, go online and find a good one to order. Start reading it on your kindle or iPhone now if can! Dive in…Books make a terrific mental vacation.
- Home projects. Look around. What should be fixed, decorated, improved? That fan that needs to be cleaned, or the light bulbs that should be changed…Start planning or why not rearrange some furniture right now?
- Arts/crafts. You know you have some kind of artistic talent inside of you…maybe it’s time to rekindle your passion. Maybe you can discover a new art form for this season of life!
- Clothes. Oh Pinterest, what did we do before you? If your wardrobe could use an update, new styles are just a click away. Keep in mind: A search for a new scarf or boots can suck you in quick, but hey–if the goal is distraction? Then a big yes to Pinterest.
- Exercise (do something). Five minute butt-toner? Quick standing ab workout? Squats while you wait for your tea to heat? There is so much you can do and if you break it up throughout the day you might surprise yourself how incredibly much you can fit in!
- Exercise (plan something). There are a thousand online fitness sites and apps to check out. A quick search or scroll around the internet can lead you to your next yoga, zumba,cowboy workout or strength training plan.
- Magazines. If you’re like me you have a stack of magazine (or eight) that you keep meaning to leaf through. Now is the time. Magazines are wonderful for short-bouts of distraction!
- Your nails. Yes, your nails could absolutely use a fresh new coat. Or trim. Or file. (anyone else cringe at nail filing? I just can’t.) Nails are terrific distractions!
- TV? Seriously, I’m the worst at this. I’ve actually been trying to discipline myself to get into a TV show this year. (Haha. I know that sounds funny but it’s true.) but finding a great series on Netflix can be just what the distraction doctor ordered. Just don’t think you need a bunch of junk to munch on while you watch. A cup of coffee or iced tea should be perfect!
- Write?! I am willing to bet that a lot of you have been writers in the past…Why not pull out a pen and paper (or a laptop if you’re current). Some of you dream of blogging…Trust me when I say that blogging will absolutely distract you.
- Your next (or for many of us–first) million! Really: Somebody like you thought of post-it notes, pool noodles, baby wipe warmers, and selfie sticks. Good chance they thought of these things while trying not to think about food. You could be next. 🙂
Next time those habitual food-thoughts threaten to steal your precious time, grab one of these twenty and go for it. Of course grabbing my book will help even more, but feel free to begin here.
Also: Be sure to follow along on my @healthyhappyandfree instagram where I’m sharing daily inspiration and weekly video clips with “lifestyle tips” to help you stay on track through the holidays!
Got another idea to addd to the list?! Share in comments!
With much aloha,
PS Be sure to grab my FREE Printable, “11 Lies that might be keeping you fat”