Find Good Pictures Bad Pictures on Amazon*: Good Pictures Bad Pictures: Porn-Proofing Today’s Young Kids.
Protect Young Minds (Kristen’s website with LOTS of great articles.)
3 Things Kids Need Before they go on the Internet:
The CAN-DO PLAN (explained fully in Good Pictures Bad Pictures book.) This is a plan for what kids should do when they see a “bad picture.”
A: ALWAYS tell a trusted adult. This removes secrecy. Invites the “thinking brain” in!
N: Name it! Label it. This helps switch from using your “feeling brain” to the “thinking brain.”
D: Distract your thoughts. Choose a positive thought to turn to. Train your brain to go there instead.
O: ORDER your thinking brain to be in control. This is an intentional choice.
A few stats from the Covenant Eyes Website:
- In 2008***, more than 560 college students responded to an online survey:
- 93% of boys and 62% of girls were exposed to pornography before 18.
- 14% of boys and 9% of girls were exposed to pornography before 13.
- 69% of boys and 23% of girls have spent at least 30 consecutive minutes viewing Internet pornography on at least one occasion. 63% of boys have done so more than once, and 35% of boys have done so on more than 10 occasions.
- 83% of boys and 57% of girls have seen group sex online.
- 69% of boys and 55% of girls have seen same-sex intercourse online.
- 39% of boys and 23% of girls have seen sexual bondage online.
- 32% of boys and 18% of girls have seen bestiality online.
- 18% of boys and 10% of girls have seen rape or sexual violence online.
- 15% of boys and 9% of girls have seen child pornography
- ***This was 12 years ago so you can only imagine these numbers have skyrocket since!
Recent statistics from the Guardchild website:
- 90% of kids between ages 8-16 have seen pornography online.
- Law Enforcement officials estimate that there are over 50,000 sexual predators online at any given moment.
- 22% of teenage girls say they have posted nude or semi-nude pictures of themselves on the internet.
- (Lots more over there!)
Pornhub, the world’s most popular porn website, reports that in 2017, there were:
- 28.5 billion annual visits to the website.
- 81 million daily average visits.
- 25 billion searches performed.
- 50,000 searches per minute.
- 800 searches a second.
**Now excuse me while I throw up. (seriously, isn’t this a scary internet world!?)
But wait — there’s good news! 🙂 A GIVEAWAY!
Kristen A. Jenson is the author of the Good Pictures Bad Pictures series of read-aloud books including the best-selling Good Pictures Bad Pictures: Porn-Proofing Today’s Young Kids and Good Pictures Bad Pictures Jr.: A Simple Plan to Protect Young Minds. Kristen is the founder of ProtectYoungMinds.org, a website dedicated to helping parents empower their kids to resist and reject pornography. She is a popular guest on radio and TV broadcasts as well as podcasts and webinars. She is a leader in the Safeguard Alliance of the National Coalition to End Sexual Exploitation and has testified before the Washington State Senate Law and Justice Committee on the public health crisis of pornography. Kristen continues to be a strong voice for protecting children from all forms of sexual exploitation. With over 100,000 copies sold worldwide, her books are a valuable resource to help children develop an internal filter for inappropriate content.
Kristen is the mother of two daughters, and a son who is waiting for her in heaven. Her latest honor is becoming a grandma! She lives with her husband and sassy chocolate Schnoodle puppy in the beautiful state of Washington. Kristen earned a B.A. in English Literature and an M.A. in Organizational Communication.
Thanks for reading these show notes! If you found this podcast episode helpful, please share it through social media links below!
I’m grateful for my readers, and would love to connect. You can subscribe to my blog for a weekly update on anything new I’ve published, say hi on Facebook , or find me on Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest.
My book, BOY MOM, was released in August of 2019 (Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers) and is full of practical advice and helpful resources for raising boys. It’s a great study for small groups!
Order it here*: Boy Mom: What Your Son Needs Most from You
*affiliate link. If you purchase books through my website I make a fraction off each purchase. Thank you!