But somewhere along the way, I decided that maybe you’d benefit more from my showing what we really eat.
Like: All of the time.
So, I decided that I would go ahead and share anything that we eat a lot around here…
Even if it isn’t the healthiest in the world. Or the most unique.
Or the prettiest…
Because let’s face it: Some of the most delicious food isn’t that pretty. (example A ^^^)
When I’ve made something around 8346 times, and everyone is still excited when I tell them I’m making it again? It’s got to be good.
And that is exactly the case with these crockpot chicken burritos.
I make ’em a lot.
And we like ’em a lot.
Did I mention how EASY they are!?
These are as easy as throwing a bunch of chicken breasts (frozen is fine!) into the crockpot with a jar of salsa, and walking out the door. Like All day long.
Eventually you add a can of black beans, and if you’re feeling really fancy, some corn (frozen is fine!) and you’re done. Give it thirty to sixty minutes to get hot…and serve!
(quick note: You absolutely CAN add the corn and black beans from the start–I have done that many times! I just add them later if I happen to be around.)
This is the meal I make if I know we’re all headed to the beach for the afternoon.
Or if I’m just feeling lazy.
Because when we walk in the door, (or I get up off the couch,) I can toss the condiments all into little bowls. And slap some tortillas on the table, and I say “Pray and eat!”
And we do.
The boys love that it’s a “make your own” kind of meal.
I love that it’s easy.
These really do belong on everyone’s weekly rotation.
Great for guests, sleepovers, and rainy Monday nights. Just announce it is a burrito bar night and they’ll come running!
**One more note: As always, there are countless variations in this recipe. In this particular batch I got really fancy and tossed diced green peppers into the pot, as well as chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper. But that was seriously the first time I have added anything except salsa and black beans. (and no–no one noticed. haha.)
Here’s the printable recipe:
(Note: The amount of each ingredient can vary a lot. This isn’t the most exact recipe. 🙂 I always plan extra for leftovers! You’ll have to figure out what works for your family.)
Easy Weeknight Crockpot Chicken Burritos
- CROCKPOT RECIPE:
- 4-5 medium chicken breasts
- 1 12-16 ounce jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn or 1-2 cups frozen corn, by taste
- optional: 1 small can diced green peppers and seasonings (per your personal taste:) 1-2 tsp chili pepper, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. cumin,
- Tortillas flour, whole wheat, corn--your choice
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Tortilla chips
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot. (optional to cut them into smaller pieces before cooking, or at the end.)
- Pour salsa to cover chicken.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours. (All crock pots cook a bit differently, so go by your cookers settings.) Make sure chicken is cooked through.
- About an hour before serving, add a can of corn, (or frozen) and a can of black beans, drained. (you can add corn and beans from the beginning as well. Either way turns out fine!)
- If chicken is still in large pieces, use a knife or kitchen scissors to chop or shred into bite-size pieces.
- Place crock pot and all condiments out and let everyone make their own burrito.
- **Use slotted spoon to serve as the crockpot ingredients get really juicy. This is both delicious and messy! 🙂
Hope you love them!
And have a great start to your week!
PS Need dessert? Try these low-fat oatmeal, banana chocolate chip cookies (they’ve been one of my biggest recipe hits! :))