I am so super excited about this week’s Boy Mom Podcast episode. I am sharing an interview with an author I’ve been a fan of for a long time, Drew Dyck. After reading Drew’s most recent book: “Your Future Self will Thank you: Secrets of Self Control from the Bible and Brain Science,” I dreamt of how great it would be to have him on the podcast to talk about BOYS AND SELF CONTROL. And you guys! — This is so good!
I am convinced that there are few character qualities as important as self control in a boy’s life. It is huge. A boy who possesses great self control will have many benefits in life — in just about every area of life! And sadly, a boy who lacks self control…is likely to face some hard life lessons.
The good news is: Self control can be cultivated! We can actually HELP our boys develop more self control.
This is a topic I get really excited about and I hope you will too. Drew shares a bit of the brain science behind self-control, some really fascinating (and funny) research that’s been done on it, as well as Biblical principles related to self control. If you aren’t familiar with Drew already I think you’re going to feel like you just made a new friend.
**Amazon affiliate link ^
Drew’s website: Drewdyck.com
Drew on Twitter: https://twitter.com/drewdyck
My favorite parts of this conversation:
- Drew is the youngest of FOUR BOYS, and I love what he learned from his big brother, Dan.
- The power of habit (bad habits and good habits –) and how we should use them to help us develop better self control.
- INFLUENCES!? One of my favorite topics — is an important factor in developing self control.
- Drew’s “post game talk” method of connecting with his son!
- Also why we should not get discouraged when we (or our kids) struggle with self control.
- I learned a new term: “Sanctified goals.”
- And… Drew’s words of wisdom at the very end — Excellent advice for all parents!
You can find the Boy Mom Podcast on all of the podcast platforms…here are just a few of them:
Or you can listen right here! 🙂
DREW DYCK is an editor at Moody Publishers and the former managing editor of Leadership Journal. His work has been deatured in USA Today, the Huffington Post, Christianity Today, and CNN.com. Drew is also the author of Generation Ex-Christian and Yawning at Tigers. He lives with his wife Grace and their three children near Portland, Oregon. Connect with Drew at drewdyck.com or follow him on Twitter @DrewDyck.
Thank you all for tuning in to this episode. If you enjoy it, would you consider leaving a rating or review over at Apple Podcasts, AND sharing it with your friends (social media buttons below, or taking a screen shot and sharing it from your phone!?) Thank you so much…these little things make a big difference in getting the word out about this podcast!