If you were to come to my house for dinner this week, there’s a good chance this is what I’d be serving.
We would gather around the big round table on the front deck, and watch the sunset while we dunked crusty bread into the sweet and spicy curry in our bowls…
The boys would slurp down their food with some delighted groans, and then ask to be excused so that they could skate the new bowl in front while there was still a bit of light.
Nights on the porch with warm food and friends? One of my favorite things in the world.
And this curry is one of my favorite things to share with friends…
I have a short list of recipes I turn to when friends are coming over…The ones I know everyone loves, and I’ve made them so much that I can pretty much make them in my sleep. The ones guests pretty much always want the recipe for…
This list varies somewhat over time, but I have a few that have simply stuck around for years…
I really like to make this for guests because you can do everything ahead, and then toss it all into a crock pot and keep it on warm until you’re ready to sit down at the dinner table. That is huge for me, because when I have guests…I like to hang out. Relax. Enjoy their company and not fuss over the stove or be stressed that I might burn something while I chat.
Anyone else like that?
If so, then this curry should be on your go-to list as well.
The smell of this curry will greet you long before you get to my kitchen. When my boys come in from an evening surf and smell this, they love me more than ever. In fact, if I could put smells in a blog post, you would all be running out to get these ingredients like now.
The key ingredient of course is Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste. I’ve never tried another brand of curry paste, but I don’t want to. Be sure to find this stuff.
(You can order it on Amazon, here: Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste, 4-Ounce Jars (Pack of 12) (affiliate link))
You can add just about anything to this recipe. I almost always use chicken (a rotisserie style chicken is pretty perfect,) but I vary the veggies depending on what I have on hand. You can make it with shrimp, or go vegetarian style.
Served over hot rice this becomes a most simple, one pot meal. (which gives it big bonus points in my book.)
I have also added extra chicken broth to turn it into a lovely soup. See? You can’t get much more versatile than this…
Family Favorite Thai Coconut Curry Recipe
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 4 Tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar or to taste
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- one whole rotisserie chicken or 3-4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or cut into small pieces
- 1 medium size onion chopped.
- 2 cups potatoes chopped to bite size pieces
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies or veggies of choice (carrots, green beans, sweet pepper, squash...)
- 1/4 cup cashews for topping optional
- 4 cups of cooked rice.
- Heat large skillet over medium, and add two cans coconut milk
- Add red curry paste, and brown sugar and combine well over heat
- Add onions, potatoes, frozen veggies, and any vegetables that need longer cooking time.
- Once potatoes are soft, turn heat to medium low, and add any final veggies, and chicken.
- Stir in the fish sauce and let simmer until veggies are cooked through. Ten to fifteen minutes.
- Serve curry over rice and top with cashews.
What is your go-to meal when company is coming over?
Hope this gives you one more to add to your favorites list! 🙂