Wow, we have some catching up to do! Do you want to join me for a cup of coffee?
Ok let’s do this!
First: Happy Spring! Isn’t it fun to say that? Does it feel like spring where you live? Or does winter linger on…?
I thought I’d start with some family updates, since we are in a big season of transition. Beginning with…TWO GRADUATIONS!!
- My firstborn is about to graduate from college! 😲 What the what…? Truly though, I could not be more proud of Josiah. He is graduating from Westmont with a degree in Data Analytics and a minor in computer science. He has already been working remotely for a data analytics company here in Hawaii and is planning to stay in California for a bit, then do some international mission work/travel while he continues with the job. He isn’t sure of his long term plan, but he’s off to a great start. I had such a sweet time with he and Jonah during a spring “Parents’ Weekend” at Westmont.
- Luke is about to graduate from high school! His senior year has been a combination of surfing, online dual-enrollment college classes (through Liberty University), surfing, finishing his homeschool curriculum, and…surfing. But really, I am beyond impressed with how Luke has transitioned to being a young professional surfer. There are so many things he is managing now: He has an agent and a coach and contracts with brands, and he plans all of his own travel (and pays for it!) He is even learning the wonderful world of taxes! He is adulting so well. And he has a really cool office too… 😉
Keep up with his fun posts on Instagram.
- Time to celebrate! We are all headed to Santa Barbara in early May for Josiah’s graduation, and Luke and Levi and I are going a couple days early so I can share a parenting talk at a women’s event (and the boys can golf!) It will be such a special time with my parents, Dave’s dad, and so many friends in the local area to celebrate with. What a gift it is to have amazing community!
- Jonah is wrapping up his Sophomore year at Westmont and doing a May term next. He’s studying Engineering and, though I know he’ll miss his big brother next year, he is so happy with his college life.
- Levi’s golf obsession has only grown. It’s amazing how much he has learned and matured over the past year. **It’s also good to finally have found his “currency”, which is incredibly helpful for motivating chores, school work, and general behavior. 🙂
Golf on, son.
- Spring cleaning! Anyone else clearing closets and bookshelves and drawers this spring? Oh my goodness, my house has been needing this.
- Dave and I celebrated our 26th anniversary and the good news is, I think I like him more now than ever!
(he says he likes me too 😉)
AS FOR ALL THE WRITING/PODCASTING THINGS…
- Fun news: The Boy Mom podcast just hit ONE MILLION DOWNLOADS! Wowza. Thank you for helping to make that happen!
- I’ve been working on some updates and new things to add to my online Character Training Course for a June Summer-Sale! If you are already in the course, you’ll have access to the new things, and if you aren’t in it yet — this summer is your time! (leave your name on this list to be notified when doors are about to open!)
- I did it! I turned my next book manuscript in to my editor in March 😮💨– and will soon be getting it back to begin working on edits. The process will go on and on until it releases in about one year. (such a process!) I will be sharing the book title/cover and concept soon….(I’m smiling so big over here!)
- I have not only been posting regularly on my @healthyhappyandfree Instagram feed, but I am teaming up with some sweet friends to work on more content related to healthy mindsets related to our bodies, food, and exercise! See my new page with a list of all my past articles on the topic!
Stay tuned for more along those lines in the days ahead!
- Thank you for over 1000 (ONE THOUSAND!) ratings and reviews for my Boy Mom book over on Amazon! What a blessing! (if you’ve read it and not yet left one, I would so appreciate you adding one, HERE!)
Here’s a few more photos just to catch up on all things this spring…
Boys all home for spring break,
Me on an anniversary paddle board ride with Dave,
One of the lovely North Shore sunsets My three boys together (without me! 😿 ) for Easter. 🌺
NOW: LET’S TALK BOOKS!
What are you reading!? I’ll share a few of my spring favorites!
For us Moms (or for wonderful Mother’s Day GIFTS for the women in your life!)
More than a Mom: How Prioritizing Your Wellness helps you (and your family) Thrive, an important read for us moms. by Kari Kampakis
What if it’s Wonderful? Release Your Fears, Choose Joy, and Find the Courage to Celebrate. By Nicole Zasowski, This is so much of my heart right now!
Coming in May — Sis, Take a Breathe: Encouragement for the Woman Who’s Trying to Live and Love Well (but Secretly Just Wants to Take a Nap. That title says it all, doesn’t it? – Cant’ wait to share Kirsten Watson on the Podcast the week before Mother’s Day.
I’ve been reading early copies of these two (and I highly recommend pre-ordering both of them!)
Raising Emotionally Strong Boys: Tools you can Build on for Life, by David Thomas, one of my favorite people to talk to! (this is so good. — coming out in June!)
Resilient: Restoring your Weary Soul in these Turbulent Times, by John Eldredge (Wow, what a topic, and — what a writer! — also coming out in June!)
CHILDREN’S BOOKS I’ve had the chance to review: (by age-)
The Biggest Bible Storybook (for all ages.) I honestly think every family needs a copy of this. It is so well done and has such brilliant art throughout.
Does God Go to Sleep? – Does God go on Vacation? and Did God Learn His ABC’s? — all by Amy Gannett with the Tiny Theologians. (for ages 1-4) these are just darling board books!
The Creator in You by Jordan Raynor. Oh, I love this!! (for ages 3-8)
Good Morning, Little One: New Mercies and Prayers to Carry You Through the Day. By Amy Kavelaris (this has the most lovely illustrations.) (ages 4-8)
Sam and the Sticky Situation, and Chloe and the Closet of Secrets, by Ginger Hubbard (you might remember her from this podcast Episode) These teach SUCH solid lessons on important topics! (ages 4-7)
Read it. See it, Say it, Sing it: Knowing and Loving the Bible, by Hunter Beless (1st grade and up)
Hues of You: An Activity Book for Learning about the Skin you are in. (Grades 2-5) Written by my friend, Lucretia, who I was on the Open Door Sisterhood Mastermind retreat with. This helps open up conversations with kids on the topic of skin tone, and all of the ways God makes us uniquely special!
How about you? — What have you been reading? Do you prefer physical books, Kindle-version, or audio?
There are a whole lot of things I know we’d go deeper into, if we were sitting together over a real cuppa joe. I have a feeling we’d swap prayer requests, and our latest favorite devotionals or Bible studies (my daily go to is the Lectio 365 app + the Bible Recap + quiet. ❤️) I wish we could do the eye contact, lean-in-and-share-the-vulnerable-stuff of friendships, but I so appreciate what we do get to share here! And I am pretty sure that if I sat with you in real life, we’d connect really quick-like. 🥰
I hope you know that when you comment or email me your real-life stuff, I read every word. And I think about the things you face, and I always stop to pray for you. So, even if I cannot reply to every comment or message, I hope you know how much I truly do care.
GIVEAWAY!!! — > Your turn to chime in, in the comments! And, because it’s a coffee date, and Starbucks are pretty much everywhere you could live, (and while I love to support local coffee shops, no one makes a more consistent latte, amiright?) — I am going to choose THREE of you to send $20 STARBUCKS CARDS to next Friday (the 29th of April!).
Reply to any or all of these questions:
1. What are you reading (or watching? — I could use a good Netflix series!) or listening to? (Podcast or audiobooks?…)
2. What transitions are happening in your life or family in this season?
3. Requests or suggestions for how I might serve you better: Topics for the podcast? What else would you like more of from me?
pst: If you let me know that you’re an email subscriber, I’ll give you a double entry. (Become one, HERE!)
I’ll reach out to THREE OF YOU next Friday and announce winners here, too!
Have a wonderful weekend and let’s finish off this spring well. Summer is coming!
XO Big hugs,
PS Couldn’t resist this one…