Wanna know what makes me feel like a really good mom?
When I make a healthy, hot breakfast for my family.
It’s kind of silly, because — really: what about all of those dinners I make
every single some nights of the week? Don’t they count?
Sure they do, but when I nail a healthy, hot breakfast, I just feel like the mom I always thought I would be — back when I was young and naive and didn’t know about things like: how hard mornings can be. I mean, there’s a lot to do in the morning, right? First of all, there is sleep. Then I love a leisurely coffee with my morning devotions. On a good day, I like to get some work (the writing kind) done early. Then there’s exercise — if I get so lucky.
Fitting in a hot breakfast can sometimes feel like a major feat.
So when I actually make something hot and hearty, I feel quite accomplished.
Which is really why I love to make an egg dish for breakfast: First of all, you can make them ahead! And also: They are super easy to prepare (at least the one I’m sharing today!) I can literally whip up this egg dish after dinner, stick it in the fridge, and it is ready to pop in the oven the next morning.
SUCH an easy way to boost my momfidence.
(Did I just make up the coolest word?)
Of course there are a million and two variations on a baked egg dish, but this is my favorite. I love the simplicity of it, the cheesy (but not too cheesy) flavor, and the options for adding in as many (or if Levi gets his way, as FEW) veggies as you like.
Plus potatoes: my personal preference is the chunky texture of using real baking potatoes rather than shredded hash browns. (But yes, you could always sub hash browns if you prefer.) My tip: Make baked potatoes for dinner one night and bake a few extra to use later in the egg dish.
The other little secret to the flavor of this dish? Hot sauce. Yep. Our good friend makes our favorite brand (which isn’t sold online at this point, but if you can track it down you won’t regret it…) Good hot sauce just adds the perfect zip to this breakfast.
I hope you’ll try it and let me know how you like it…
Family Favorite Egg and Potato Bake
- 2 medium potatoes pre-cooked (I try to use leftover baked potatoes or quickly microwave diced potatoes)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-2 tsp. hot sauce optional, and to-taste
- Salt and pepper to taste about 1 tsp. of each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup veggies of choice bell peppers, onion, spinach, asparagus...
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat a baking dish with nonstick spray. For a thinner egg dish, use 9 inch, or thicker use a smaller (8 inch) square or round dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine whisked eggs, milk, hot sauce, and salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add diced veggies (begin with onions if using them) until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese until well combined.
- Spread the veggie and cheese mixture into baking dish. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle with the other 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until eggs are set. Let sit for a few minutes, then it should cut easily to serve.
PS: Wanna know what makes me feel like I nailed an egg bake?
When it lifts out of the pan all nice and clean…
It’s the little things in life.
Don’t forget to PIN and share so your friends can make yummy egg dishes for their kids too. Mahalo!
Now here’s to mornings, #momfidence, and a happy, healthy week ahead!
PS Are you following my newest instagram feed yet? Hop over to @healthyhappyandfree to find daily inspirations to live a balanced, healthy life! 😉