I can’t even begin to explain how it could possibly be the middle of November…and even more how it could be Thanksgiving in just over a week!??
But what I can tell you, is about a recipe that might just make your November — possibly even your Thanksgiving…a very welcome sight.
4 layers of fluffy, pumpkin, macadamia-nut goodness.
Because as much as we all love pumpkin pie…Sometimes you gotta switch things up a bit. (amirght?)
Also, maybe it’s just me, but ever since Costco started selling those ginormous, cheap pumpkin pies, everything changed. (Does anyone even make pumpkin pie anymore?)
So I wanted to create a new pumpkin dessert that might also incorporate our home-grown macadamia nuts. I found this recipe on Lil Luna’s site and got excited because not only did I happen to have all of the ingredients on hand, (don’t you love that?) but it would also be easy to use mac nuts in place of her pecans. (and either would work fine, as would almost any nut you like!) I played around with the recipe a bit, and the results exceeded my expectations!
This is super easy to make, but with all those layers it comes out looking quite fancy. And though I won’t categorize it as “healthy”, the fluffy nature of this dessert makes it a great finish for a holiday meal.
I’m thinking of trying a gluten free version of this for our actual Thanksgiving (my folks will be here to join us, yay!) The crust is the only thing you’d need to change, so if you happen to be #GF, give it a shot!
Meanwhile, here’s the printable recipe. Your kids will love this. Your husband will love this. And (just as importantly) YOU’LL LOVE THIS!!
Quick Note: This recipe makes a huge pan, and though it stores well to have later, if you want a smaller batch I would suggest cutting ingredients in half and making an 8X8 pan. (extra whipped topping is always good, so do be generous there!)
Pumpkin 4-Layer Cake
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts Separate 3/4 cup for crust and 1/4 cup for topping.
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups whipped topping
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 3 small or 1 large and one small packages of vanilla instant pudding mix. (small -- 3.4 oz. or large is 5 oz.)
- 15 oz. can o pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp. pumpkin spice or 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ginger, and 1/s tsp. nutmeg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- LAYER #1: Mix flour, butter, and 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts. Press into a 9X13 pan, coated with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly brown and middle is just firm.
- LAYER #2: Blend cream cheese and powdered sugar, add 1 1/2 cup of the whipped topping then spread over cooled crust.
- LAYER 3: Mix milk, pudding mixes, canned pumpkin, pumpkin spice, and 1 cups whipped topping until smooth. Spread over top of layer 2.
- LAYER 4: Spread remaining 1 1/2 cup of whipped topping and sprinkle chopped macadamia nuts on top.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours and serve. ENJOY!! (Store leftovers in fridge for up to 4 days.)
Let me know how you like it. Pin it for the Holidays? Print it and make it today!? Share with your friends using social media buttons below!? Thank you! And in comments tell me what you usually have for dessert on Thanksgiving!? I need some inspo! (because you can’t have just one dessert on Thanksgiving!)
PS Thank you to Lil Luna for the recipe inspiration, and for those of you that haven’t visited her site yet– You’ll definitely want to! She’s got a lot of mouth-watering recipes for every occasion!