Autumn in Hawaii…
This is the time of year that we usually take a trip to see family in the Pacific Northwest. I love to get my fall fix, and the last few years have exceeded my expectations. Each vacation has been filled with crisp, sunny days, and spectacular views of autumn leaves in all of their splendor.
This year, for some reason, we didn’t plan a trip. And when I call home to talk to family, all I hear is “rain rain rain rain” and “yuck yuck yuck.”
So, although I hate to take too much credit, I can’t help but put together that our visiting might have something to do with the great fall weather.
Ya think it could be?
That’s really beside the point of this post–I was just thinking out loud…
I am really here to talk about FALL, and PUMPKINS, and yes I confess:
I am a hopeless autumn romantic. I love fall, and I soak it in wherever I happen to be.
However, around here–it does take a bit of imagination, because Hawaii is still pretty much sunny and summer-like.
I do feel a shift in seasons, but it’s hard to think too much about cozy sweaters or even long pants quite yet.
So as for our favorite FALL TREAT: We like ice cream:
PUMPKIN ICE CREAM, thankyouverymuch!
And we like to eat it on the lanai on a warm evening.
Don’t hate us.
We’re really nice people.
I started making Pumpkin Ice cream when we first bought our Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine about 7 years ago. Dave’s favorite pie has always been pumpkin, so I knew this would be a winner. The basic recipe came with the machine, although I have tweaked it over the years. Some ice creams I actually change up to make more healthy–but this one…nope. It just doesn’t seem right. I add graham crackers or mini vanilla wafers if I have them, but they aren’t necessary. And the chocolate chips: well they just seem to land on top of just about everything if my kids are in the kitchen.
This is a sweet and spicy, refreshing finish to any fall meal. I hope you’ll give it a try!
Here is the printable recipe:
PUMPKIN ICE CREAM
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 3/4 cup pumpkin purée (solid pack pumpkin)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup crumbled graham crackers (or cookie of choice.)
In a medium mixing bowl, combine milk, brown sugar, and molasses, until sugar is dissolved. (using a mixer is best for smooth consistency.)
Stir in the pumpkin purée, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
Add heavy cream and vanilla.
Turn on ice cream machine, and pour mixture into freezer bowl. Let mix until thickened, 20-25 minutes.
If adding cookies, crumble them up and add for the last five minutes.
Ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. Sets best if placed in an airtight container in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Remove from freezer at least five minutes before serving. Top with more graham crackers and chocolate chips if you’re feeling fancy.
I tell ya–I can’t turn my back for a second around here.
This weekend wraps up Pumpkin week, but if you have missed any of the sensational recipes, I’ve got your back! Just click on any of the links below to discover more great bloggers sharing the best of the best Pumpkin recipes! It’s been one of MY personal favorite theme weeks, ever!
~ Monday ~
~ Tuesday ~
- Jeanne @ Inside NanaBread’s Head – Pumpkin Hazelnut Waffles with Cinnamon Honey Butter
- Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama – Pumpkin Pie Macarons
~ Wednesday ~
- Megan @ Country Cleaver – Mini No-Bake Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecakes with Crumble Topping
- Allison @ Decadent Philistines Save the World – Pumpkin Marshmallows & Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- Shanna @ Pineapple and Coconut – Creamy Maple Bacon Pumpkin Risotto
- Anne @ From My Sweet Heart – Pumpkin Donuts with Cream Cheese Icing & Candied Pepitas
- Kat @ Tenaciously Yours – Marbled Pumpkin Gingersnap Tart
- Mads @ La Petite Pancake – Pumpkin Spice Cake with Maple Frosting and Pumpkin Oat Puppy Treats
~ Friday ~
- Madeline @ Munchin’ in the Mitten – Savory Pumpkin Tart
- Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain – Pumpkin Mousse with Candied Squash
- I’m back with Pumpkin Kiss Cookies!
~ Saturday ~
- Beka @ Kvetchin’ Kitchen is back with Pumpkin Scones
- ME! @ The Grom Mom – Pumpkin Ice Cream.With MUCH ALOHA!GROMMOM
To subscribe to all blog posts (or get a weekly update!) just fill in below!