So…this Sunday is my birthday!
And though I have a bunch of posts in the pipeline (all unfinished, of course,) … I thought I would repost this birthday post from two years ago.
Because on your birthday you get to do whatever you want, right? And also: Most of the confessions here haven’t changed a bit, and they might help you newer readers get to know me a little better. Plus, I’m adding a couple “bonus confessions” to the end…which are “bonus embarrassing” because apparently as you get older you lose all shame and just say: Whatever. (or is that my inner teenager?)
Well, here is a fairly comprehensive collection of my DIRTY TRUTHS: All kinds of confessions, embarrassments, and other random facts about myself that you might otherwise never know. (and you’d certainly never miss, I should add.)
The best part of this post is when you play along and leave comments, confessing you share some of my bad habits, or maybe have a few of your own. I am hoping you’ll oblige me today, and do the same!
After all, it IS my birthday
Let’s begin, shall we?
1. Sunday I’ll be
44 46 years old.
2. Today, I act, dress, and think more like a 16 30 year-old. I’ve always been a late bloomer. But more recently I am catching myself saying things that my mom (ok grandma) used to say, so I think that’s a sign of maturing.
Oh, and the
wrinkles. smile lines.
3. I have extra-large feet for my height. Standing at just under 5’4″, my feet are a full size 9.5. (Ok, sometimes a 10.)
4. I sleep with my eyes just a teeny tiny open. Some people find it a bit creepy. I used to freak out my older brothers.
5. There are just a couple people whose sense of humor just hit me in that place…(anyone know what I’m talking about?) My mom is one of them, as well as about three other friends. Once, while on a tour in Australia (we were exhausted,) my mom made me laugh until I wet my pants, and I may never forgive her.
6. I call my mom almost every day. She’s the best. (even if she does make me wet my pants.)
7. I abuse paper plates and paper towels. (environmentalists, don’t be hate’n.) I am planning to give that up for my News Year’s Resolution. In 2020.
8. I just bought a new jog bra last week after realizing that I hadn’t bought a new one in at least ten years. Most of them are so old that the elastic stretches out and never comes back. Clearly I need help with priorities. (Note from 2016: I’ve bought two more since this post. #Progress.)
9. At least a few times a week, shortly after falling asleep, I wake up thinking that I forgot to brush my teeth. I lie there or sit up, trying to remember whether or not I brushed my teeth. (and I always ALWAYS have brushed my teeth.) Sometimes I even ask Dave if he remembers me brushing my teeth (he never wakes up to answer.) Then I feel silly and go back to sleep.
10. I cannot chew gum. If I chew gum for more than four minutes, I will swallow it. I know that is gross, so now I just don’t chew gum.
11. I iron about
2.4 .4 times a year. I’m just so bad at it that clothes look worse after I iron than before. (That’s why driers were invented.)
12. I don’t have any tattoos and I’ve never really wanted one, however since I turned forty I have developed a secret fascination with (the pretty kind of) arm-sleeve tattoos. So you’ll know if I ever have a mid-life crisis…(Don’t worry Mom, it’ll never happen.)
13. I have such an exaggerated phobia of throwing up, that the last time one of my sons threw up, I got so freaked out that I passed out in my living room. It was awful. (note from 2016: Levi has thrown up since this post but I fully put Dave in charge of it. For safety reasons of course.)
14. Three highlights of my mornings:
First sip of coffee.
Cleaning my ears with Q-tips.
15. If you do not love Q-tips, I do not understand you.
16. I’m so in love with all of my boys that when I get eye contact for an extended second with any of them, my heart does that somersault thing that I thought was reserved for romantic feelings.
17. Speaking of romantic feelings, (
18.5 20.5 years later,) I still have a huge crush on Dave, and I sometimes just watch him, hardly believing that I get to call him my husband.
*BONUS CONFESSIONS (dated October, 2016)
18. I am pretty sure that I have at least a mild case of narcolepsy. It affects me the worst when I’m driving in the afternoon, AND the very most when I read out loud to my kids. On a bad day, I might read one page out loud in the middle of the day and my eyes literally roll back in my head and I have to excuse myself to go take a nap. I feel bad about this. (and the one and only solution for me is to read standing up.)
19. (Speaking of narcolepsy…)When Dave and I were just “friends” (though I was privately madly in love with him)…we were studying side by side one evening and apparently I drifted off to sleep…Within a few seconds in my unaware state, apparently I passed gas really loud right next to him, creating a rumble so loud it woke ME up and made him laugh so hard he was rolling. I thought I would shrivel up and die. #mostembarassingmoment
20. When I was about 9 years old my family travelled to the Caribbean for a Christmas trip. We got in late at night and before we all headed out for a moonlight walk my dad warned me I could get a serious “moon burn” so I really should sunscreen well. When my brothers saw me lathering up with a thick layer of sunscreen they laughed their heads off at me.
21. I’m pretty sure that having two older brothers prepared me well to be a #boymom.
I’m cutting myself off there, but oh you know I could go on and on. And on. I may have to keep adding to the list year after year…
I’ll be spending my birthday weekend at two soccer games and in Haleiwa at Levi’s first shortboard surf competition! (oh dear…) Dave works all weekend, but we’ll manage to squeeze some celebrating in, don’t you worry…
I am so grateful to the Lord for all of my blessings, YOU — my favorite readers, being way up there on the list! My heart is very full…
For my birthday: will you leave a comment with one of your own confessions!? Any random silly thing about you will do. No pressure, I’ll just be hanging out waiting. No biggie. 😉
PS While I’m updating and being all honest here…how about a more recent photo of me too?
Wrinkles smile lines included…
(thanks to my friend Laura.)