I’m so excited to be diving into the New Year with all of you!
On today’s episode I am sharing some of the things I have planned both on the podcast and on my blog for 2020! I’m also talking about how our family is (finally!) writing a Family Mission Statement, using a new approach I came across recently! (a boy-approved approach, I might add!) I just had to pass it along and I hope it might inspire you to create your own family mission statement in the new year!
A few notes from the show:
1. MY NEW YEAR’S “STATE OF THE BLOG ADDRESS ” on my blog now — Click HERE! 🙂
Hop over to find out what is coming up on in the New Year, AND ENTER TO A WIN A COPY OF BOY MOM this week!
2. A new approach to the FAMILY MISSION STATEMENT.
Inspiration from the Storybrand Podcast, episode –> here. Story is a powerful way to communicate thoughts and to inspire kids (and all people!) Jesus often spoke in parables and throughout history people have loved stories. When you use elements of story to create a mission statement, boys will be much more drawn into things. So, grab a whiteboard and some pens and invite the kids to join you. Take your time… give yourself the rest of the month to put your mission statement together. Then, filter the choices your family makes through your mission statement!
Three main elements to include in a story-based Family Mission Statement:
- Name the enemy. (the villain…the obstacle or challenge your family needs to overcome.)
- Determine HOW you plan to overcome the enemy. What is your attack plan?
*Name 3 character qualities that family members must embrace to do this well,
AND 3 critical action steps necessary to fulfill the plan.
- Acknowledge: What is at stake…if you fail to complete your mission? Every family member needs to feel like part of the mission. Your family members should feel they are shoulder to shoulder, in a counterattack against an evil injustice in the world (or in your neighborhood, or etc.)
A favorite quote by Donald Miller: “If you don’t invite your kids into a story, I promise you someone else will.”
You can find the Boy Mom Podcast on all of the podcast platforms…here are just a few of them:
Or you can listen right here! 🙂
Thank you for being with me in the New Year. I’m really excited to grow with you, serve you, and have some good fun together!
I’d LOVE for you to leave a comment telling me how you’re doing in the New Year! Ideas for topics or guests you’d like to hear from!? Also, do you have a Family Mission Statement? Wanna share it? Comment below!