You guys know by now that I love soup. Like, I could eat it every day. Even here in Hawaii, and even all year-long. No shame. All kinds of soup. love love love.
Well, now I have a confession: I have been making this delicious coconuty, peanut-buttery, hint-of-ginger-and-lime, chicken and vegetable-packed soup for a long time now. And somehow it just occurred to me that I’ve never stopped to get photos and share it with you here.
Shame on me. I feel like I’ve been keeping something from you.
The truth is, as soon as I make this soup, my family eats it up so fast there is not time for photos.
Josiah (my in-house photographer) and I pretty much had to sneak this batch before anyone figured out what we were up to…
It always goes fast.
The flavors in this soup are just perfect; And as always: the more veggies the merrier.
My family gets a little weak in the knees at the smell of this soup: Sweet coconut milk combined with a salty broth base, the red curry paste and a hint of brown sugar…and then just enough peanut butter, and that kick of ginger…Seriously, did you just drool a little too?
Served over steamy brown rice, this soup is a filling meal.
I just promise that your family will love it.
If there is any left over (good luck with that) the flavors only get better the next day. If you have big family, I suggest doubling the recipe. And as always–play with things. You might like it spicier (add more curry paste) or sweeter, (hello extra brown sugar–) There are no rules.
Here’s the printable recipe! Note: I originally followed a similar recipe from FoodieCrush for a Thai Chicken Soup in the slow cooker. As always I have made changes to the original recipe, and I tend to prefer this one on the stove top.
- 2 Tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 12 ounce cans coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red (or any color, or a combination) bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-2 cups frozen mixed veggies (I used corn, green beans, peas, and carrots)
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- cilantro for garnish
- --Cooked brown rice for serving
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, combine coconut milk, chicken stock, brown sugar, peanut butter, and fish sauce over medium heat. Combine well. Add chicken breast pieces, onion, peppers, and mixed veggies. Cook over low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and serve over hot rice. top with cilantro. ENJOY!!!
As always, I am honored when you pin and share! Also, come back to give me feedback! XO
And just for fun, share in comments: Do you love soup as much as I do? If so, what’s your favorite kind of soup? What is your family’s favorite?