This post falls under the category of: I had no intention of blogging about this but it's too good not to. And you've got to hear the story of how … Read the Post »
Today…is my birthday!
And though I have a bunch of posts that I’m dying to share (all unfinished, of course,) …I thought I would revisit a favorite old theme in honor of it being my birthday. Because on your birthday you get to do whatever you want, right?
So today I share some of my DIRTY TRUTHS: All kinds of confessions, embarrassments, and other random facts about myself that you might otherwise never know. (and you’d never miss, I should add.)
I shared a similar post a couple years ago, and it turned out to be super fun. The best part was that a whole lot of people played along and left comments confessing that they either shared some of my bad habits, or maybe had a few of their own. I am hoping you’ll oblige me today, and do the same!
After all, it IS my birthday
Let’s begin, shall we?
1. Today, I am forty-four years old.
2. Today, I act, dress, and think more like a
24 34 year-old. I’ve always been a late bloomer. I will admit however, that more recently I have been catching myself with a few more mature (some might say Old Fashioned) thoughts/mindsets that remind me that I’m beginning to age a bit.
Oh, and the
wrinkles. smile lines.
3. I have extra large feet for my height. Standing at just under 5’4″, my feet are a full size 9.5. (Ok, sometimes a 10.)
4. I sleep with my eyes just a teeny tiny open. Some people find it a bit creepy.
5. There are a handful of people whose sense of humor just hit me in that place…(anyone know what I’m talking about?) My mom is one of them, as well as about three other friends. Once, while on a tour in Australia (we were exhausted,) my mom made me laugh until I wet my pants, and I may never forgive her.
6. I call my mom almost every day. She’s the best. (even if she does make me wet my pants.)
7. I abuse paper plates and paper towels. (environmentalists, don’t be hate’n.) I am planning to give that up for my News Year’s Resolution. In 2020.
8. I just bought a new jog bra last week after realizing that I hadn’t bought a new one in at least ten years. Most of them are so old that the elastic stretches out and never comes back. Clearly I need help with priorities.
9. At least a few times a week, shortly after falling asleep, I wake up thinking that I forgot to brush my teeth. I lie there or sit up, trying to remember whether or not I brushed my teeth. (and I always ALWAYS have brushed my teeth.) Then I go back to sleep.
10. I cannot chew gum. If I chew gum for more than four minutes, I will swallow it. I know that is gross, so now I just don’t chew gum.
11. I iron about 2.4 times a year. I’m just so bad at it that clothes look worse after I iron than before. (That’s why driers were invented.)
12. I don’t have any tattoos and I’ve never really wanted one, however since I turned forty I have developed a secret fascination with (the pretty kind of) arm-sleeve tattoos. So you’ll know if I ever have a mid-life crisis…(Don’t worry Mom, it’ll never happen.)
13. I have such an exaggerated phobia of throwing up, that the last time one of my sons threw up, I got so freaked out that I passed out in my living room.
14. Three highlights of my mornings:
First sip of coffee.
Cleaning my ears with Q-tips.
15. If you do not love Q-tips, I do not understand you.
16. I’m so in love with all of my boys that when I get eye contact for an extended second with any of them, my heart does that somersault thing that I thought was reserved for romantic feelings.
17. Speaking of romantic feelings, (18.5 years later,) I still have a huge crush on Dave, and I sometimes just watch him, hardly believing that I get to call him my husband.
I’m cutting myself off there, but oh you know I could go on and on. And on.
Now, if you’re wondering what I’m getting for my birthday…(Does everyone wonder that, or am I only proving that I’m really just a nine year old trapped inside a forty-four year-old’s body?)
I’ll tell you anyways! All I really wanted for my birthday was to get my house professionally cleaned. I got my wish earlier this week. (yay!) (thank you Dave!)
(Now no one move or breathe or touch anything!!)
So, today, I plan to take a couple hours to myself! I hope to get a pedicure, sit at a Starbucks and read a book, and maybe go shopping for more jog bras and some new eye liner.
(In other words partying hard.)
I also have a hot date tonight, and four sweet boys to look at every day until my heart does somersaults. Really–I couldn’t ask for anything more!!
God has been so good to me, and I begin this day just thanking Him for it all. I can’t help but think of a number of people I know who are suffering right now, and I am so aware that every day is a gift, and tomorrow is never promised. I want to be mindful of that truth as I live and love with all that I am, every day.
PS Your turn! For my birthday, will you leave a comment with one of your own confessions!? Any random silly thing about you will do. No pressure, but I’ll be waiting.