Please don’t tell me you’re already over all of the pumpkin everything.
I know, I know, people get really into pumpkin this time of year, and some find it a bit overkill.
But not me. I love pumpkin. As far as I’m concerned, pumpkin could just set up camp and move in for good. It’s such a mild, sweet, comforting flavor…Who says it should only be welcome from September through November? I might just have to start a petition.
But I will say…After baking a few loaves of traditional pumpkin bread (hello sugar + fat,) and drinking my fair-share and then-some of the Pumpkin Spice Lattes (Or PSL’s as my boys affectionately call them, because apparently 13 isn’t too young to fall in love,) I started to crave a healthier option for my fall/pumpkin cravings.
So, I took my Favorite Energy ball recipe, and simplified. Then I added a heaping 1/2 cup (I’m pretty sure it was closer to a full cup,) of canned pumpkin, and 2 heaping tsp.’s of pumpkin pie spice. And I did a little happy dance because I had a really good feeling…
And I was right. Fantabulous. Truly and really. You’re gonna want to make these today.
I put mine in the refrigerator (it’s still in the hot/humid/I need to complain-zone here,) and two hours later, offered them to my family. And they got big thumbs up. In fact, the flavor is so good, and the pumpkin added such a nice moisture to these that I might add pumpkin to my energy balls year-round now.
I can break an unwritten rule as good as the next guy.
Happy Fall to you!
Hope your family loves them too!
- heaping ½ cup of pumpkin puree
- 1½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup shredded (unsweetened) coconut
- ½ cup finely chopped dates (may substitute raisins or craisins if you prefer.)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds or other nuts of choice (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Optional Add-in: ¼ cup mini-chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mixing well.
- Roll into bite-sized balls and place on a plate or cooking sheet
- Refrigerate til firm and cold
- **Keep in refrigerator for up to a week for best flavor.
Oh–and don’t forget that when you Pin and Share, the world becomes a happier place.
Do you have a favorite FALL/PUMPKIN treat? Tell me about it! Let me know in comments, below. There’s always room for more around here!
See you soon with a very packed post!