It’s been a while since I’ve done a Home and Country update. This is probably because there isn’t a whole lot of new stuff going on. I mean, there are always more bananas and papayas to talk about, and the coconuts are falling again…(look out!) but we don’t have anything brand-new at the moment.
I thought that for accountability sake, if nothing else, I might share some of the projects that Dave and I are HOPING to accomplish in this new year.
ON THE LAND…
1. Finish the skate ramp/sport court/extra parking area (see above,) with hopes that the new rock walls (which I am so-far not fond of,) will be made useful. Then I can quit with the weekly wife-nag-duty of asking “WHY THOSE?” and “WHY THERE?” and WHY WHY?
2. Plant a vegetable garden. This is harder than it sounds because we need to track down a rototiller attachment for Dave’s tractor…Which most likely will have to be shipped from the mainland. So many vegetables grow well here in Pupukea. Many of the best restaurants on island boast of “Pupukea greens,” or “Pupukea tomatoes.” The neighbor above us has a 16 acre Onion farm, and you can find every sort of veggie up here. I want to get in on the action!
3. Start a compost bin. Dave has done a little bit of composting at the very top of our property, but I want to make a compost bin that we all use. Which of course means I’ve begun a Compost board on Pinterest. (Come, join the fun!)
4. Chickens? There are plenty of wild chickens around, but we’d really like to try raising chickens for eggs. Except we have a problem called Oscar and Lulu.
Anyone have experience combining chickens and dogs that ends in anything other than blood and feathers?
IN THE HOUSE:
We haven’t taken many pictures of the inside of our house. It’s a challenging house to photograph because it is so bright! (which is one thing I love about the house!)
Here’s a few Josiah took recently…So you can see it, literally as it is lived in…
(Dave’s Christmas gifts, from The Captian Surfs Art:)
PROJECTS on the list:
1. Wndows! We NEED new windows in all of the bedrooms, and the whole back area (rec.room/school area) of the house. Need.
2. Organization: I’m on a mission to get much more organized in this house!
This calls for sub-categories:
A. Classroom stuff: Recently I bought some organizing doo-dads for my “teacher-desk” area which was making me crazy. Being organized helps SO MUCH—don’t you think!? But there is more…always more, and I really want to find some systems that WORK for this very busy family.
B. Master Bedroom/closet: Not sure how it happened, but when we moved in, Dave and I inherited all of the leftover furniture!…On one side of our bed we have a stool, and on the other side–a hand-me-down-from-kids (originally from Craigslist) tiny table. (it’s a super narrow space, hard to find bedside tables that fit.) I don’t love our curtains or our bedspread, and I’d love a Master bedroom redo!
Closet Organizers: we have a decent-sized walk-in closet, which has so much potential! But for now, it’s pretty pathetic. You’ll find the baby dresser we bought for Josiah 15 years ago! (the kind with attached flip-down changing table– Yes.) as well as other odds and ends of shelves which do not exactly make me feel like a legitimate adult with a big walk-in closet. My ideal would be to have an actual custom closet system put into our Master closet! In our last house we had a closet system in our guest room/office (with a wall-bed unit that we loved,) and I still day dream about how nice that was!
3. Kitchen: I don’t think it will happen in 2014, but I am still dreaming about the kitchen remodel we have on our minds…Expanding the kitchen out into the back lanai…creating a dining area…and a big pantry, and so on. Let me dream.
What is on your family’s list to do inside or outside of your home in this coming year? Any big projects? Remodeling? Gardening? Dreaming? Tell me about it in comments!
**This post was sponsored by California Closets, a company I love!