I have a theory about people…
Most people fall into one of two categories:
They are either of the PASTA-persuasion, or more RICE-oriented.
Which one are you?
I like both, but I’m definitely more of a rice girl. I LOVE rice! I prefer it mixed up with flavors and textures…Fried rice being an absolute favorite, and coconut rice being one of our family’s favorite treats! We always order it at Thai restaurants.
I decided it was time to make my own coconut rice, and add some tropical mix-ins as well. I started with Jasmine rice, then mixed in a little brown rice to try to healthy-it-up a bit. (jasmine alone would probably be more authentically coconut-rice like.) But this turned out amazing! I love love love this recipe! It will be a new go-to for our family meals! It is coconuty sweet, with just enough crunch…Oh, you have try it!
- 1⅓ cups chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ tsp. salt.
- 2 cups rice. Jasmine or white, (I mixed brown rice in, and it was fine!)
- 1 cup chopped papaya, or mango, chopped into bite-size pieces.
- ½ cup pistachio nuts, shelled.
- Combine chicken broth, coconut milk, salt, and rice in a medium size saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Lower heat, and simmer until the moisture has been absorbed.
- (cooking time will depend on type of rice. Jasmine will cook in about fifteen minutes, brown rice may take up to forty minutes.)
- Remove from heat, and let cool just enough to handle.
- Stir in papaya, and pistachios.
- Serve warm as a side dish with fish, chicken, or just about anything!
- (*also good served as a cool rice salad.)
So, let’s take an Unofficial poll–are you a pasta person, or do you prefer rice? Let us know in comments! (*you can also share how you like your rice or pasta? Plain? with soy sauce? Marinara or plain with some butter…? Mmm, I’m getting hungry just talking about all of it!)
**As always, don’t forget to pin this baby!
Much aloha…Until next time,
If you’d like to receive email notifications of EACH POST, or a WEEKLY UPDATE of posts, fill in your email below! Aloha-